The In2Hula Hoop with Heart Programme has been selected as a finalist for the Innovation Award at the 2017 Exercise Industry Awards.
One of the questions In2Hula was asked as part of round two of the assessment for this award was: “Explain what you think makes your innovation stand out from the rest.” Here is why the Hoop with Heart Programme is uniquely innovative:
– Its collaborative nature (In2Hula + Heart Foundation + Ministry of Education curriculum)
– Its focus on pre-schoolers
– Its focus on having fun being active
– The range of activities included in the programme
– Its inclusion of Te Reo Maori and Maori mythology and stories
– Its aim to engage both pre-schoolers and their families in enjoyable active movement
– The joy on the participant’s faces
What is Hoop with Heart?
Hoop with Heart is a hula hoop based physical activity programme for preschool children consisting of activity sessions for the children, family/whanau events and professional learning and development workshops for early learning service teachers.
The activities in the programme range from dynamic sporting type movement, through to dance-like movement through to imaginative movement which gives it a wide appeal to a variety of children. This range of physical activities means that it can be adapted to both indoor and outdoor environments, and provide an enjoyable and accessible option for physical movement indoors in poor weather. HWH aims to provide a positive learning environment where the children can try new things, gain confidence and have fun being active.